Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gotcha Day!


Today is my 
Gotcha Day!

It was 3 years ago that I left my 
mommy and daddy and moved
to Minnesota to live with Mike and Beth.

The time has went by so quickly....
I have been laying around today thinking
of all the fun I have had here.

Every year I get out the letter I wrote
the night before I left Michigan.
I was so scared.

Here it is....

March 5, 2009
It's Thursday evening. All of my bags are packed and waiting by the door. I am ready to leave. It's been quite a day. My family gave us boys a going away party. It was so much fun. We had party hats and lots of treats. There was music and we tried to dance as best as we could. Mom and Dad were so funny. We got lots of hugs and kisses from them. David and Mary joined in the fun. We had soooo much fun!

But now it's dark and quiet. Everyone is sleeping, except me. I did some research on the internet today. I found out a lot of stuff. And now I just can't stop thinking. I don't think I want to go to Minnesota. I don't want to leave my mom, dad, brothers and sisters. Not even David and Mary. What will it be like? I don't know Mike and Beth. What if they aren't nice people? What if they are mean to me? What if I'm not what they thought I'd be? What if I get too big and they will think that isn't a good idea? Will anyone comb my hair or give me a bath? I have heard that some people get puppies and all is well until they grow up then people get tired of them and tie them up outside. No one comes and plays with them or hugs them or even talks to them. They just give them some food and water and run back in the house. If it's cold out the water will freeze and then I would have no water. And if in the hot weather I accidentally tip my water bowl over, I would have none. If they get busy sometimes you won't get anything for a couple of days. Some people make a little house outside called a dog house. If you aren't tied up then you are in this cage. When it's cold no one is there to hold you. You just shiver and try to get by. The nights would be scary with cold blowing snow. OR in the summer when there is bad weather, I wouldn't know what to do. This can go on for years. When you get sick or they don't want you any more they give you to someone else or put you down, and we all know what that means. I don't want a life like that. I am a good boy. I know God wouldn't want me to live like that. I don't want to be left alone. I don't want anyone to ignore me. I don't want to be lonely. I also heard that some people will hit you if you don't do as they say or if you have an accident (potty). Or they put a collar on you that shocks you if you don't do as they say. All this just sounds like torture. It doesn't sound nice at all. Don't people understand that we want to do a good job and that they need to show us what they want us to do. Just like a little child -- it takes some time and sometimes we forget and make a mistake. We wouldn't mean to. Some people will do bad things to you and then say "it's just a dog". What is THAT suppose to mean? Do they think we are a piece of furniture? Don't they think we have feelings? Don't they know everyone deserves to be loved? Why do people even want us if they don't plan to take really good care of us? We need to learn just like children do and if no one takes the time to do that, what are we suppose to do? Mary said she checks everyone out, but what if things change? No one will know. I know there are places that protect animals but if no one reports it, what are we to do? We can't get away to tell on them. And if we do get away the police will capture us and put us in cages and if no one comes for us or wants us, they -- well you know. I don't want that to happen to me. I don't want any of that! I just want to stay here. It's nice here and everyone loves me. It has been such a happy life so far. I know I am young but what if I never see my parents, brothers, sisters or Mary and David ever again. What if where I go isn't nice and no one ever finds out to come and save me.

My brothers must not be thinking about this. They leave on Saturday. Right now they are snoring away.

I guess I will just say a prayer and know that God will take care of everything. Mommy always tells me that if I put my trust in God that everything will work out. AND my mommy is a very smart lady, so I will just think about good things and try to get some sleep. I just hope those bad thoughts stay away.

5 o'clock is going to come early so am going to close for now. Please say a prayer for me that everything will work out good in my life and for my brothers and sisters too! Thank you.

Love, Remington 

I am glad everything went just the
way Mary said it would....
I still miss mom and dad,
my brothers and sisters
and Mary and David....
but I am so happy!

Here I am on March 6, 2009
Me -- March 6, 2010
Me -- March 6, 2011

And here I am  today....

Do you think I have changed?

Today I am going to get lots of 
hugs and treats -- I know this
because Beth told me!

3 years....
amazing....

Later -- Remington --
I love my forever home....
-- out!

50 comments:

HoundDogMom said...

Happy 3rd Barkday, Remington. My has that couch grown since you joined your furever home. Hope your get lots of snuggles, treats and belly rubs. Sniffs, The HoundDogs

The Furries of Whisppy said...

Happy 3rd Gotcha Day, Remi! God definitely heard your prayer and blessed you with an awesome family! We hope you get to spend your day playing football, and get lots of treats!

Lovable Lily said...

Hi Remington,

Lily the doxie here. Happy Gotcha Day! I'm so happy to read that everything worked out perfectly for you 'cuz eading your letter just broke my little heart.

Sending you BIG doxie hugs on your special day.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

verobirdie said...

Happy Gotcha day, Remington.
No you have not changed at all, the couch, maybe, but not you. You are still that beautiful baby.

Unknown said...

Happy Gotcha Day Remington! I am so happy all your prayers were ansered and you have the bestest home there is!
Lovies, Miss Mindy

Debbie said...

That is so awesome remy, we are happy for you!

Gus said...

Happy Gotcha Day! You are one wise dog to have such deep thoughts at an early age. You are one lucky dog to have such talented wonderful hoomans.

Congratulations

gussie n teka

My Mind's Eye said...

Morning handsome...your Gotcha day is my happy day. I'm so happy we are friends. You make me smile each and every day.
What a sweet letter by a cute little Newfie puppy 3 years ago.
GREAT big hugs from your BFFF,
Madi and Mom

Maggie Mae and Max said...

Remington,

Happy Happy Gotcha Day my furiend. :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae and Max

Bassetmomma said...

Happy 3rd Gotcha Day Remington!! How exciting for you, Beth and Mike. Your letter brought tears to my eyes. How nice that you still have it to look back on while your enjoying such a wonderful life in such a loving forever home. You are one lucky dude! Have fun and enjoy all those treats!!

Lynn said...

Happy Gotcha Day Remmy, you're just as cute but a bigger version! XSlip & BillyX

P.S from Slip, On my birthday (valentines day) I get one of my fave things ever, a full one, they are long and orange I think the two legged ones call it a karut...sure is tasty x

Charlene and Storm said...

happy gotcha day remington wow youve grown a bit since then havent you!!!

The Thuglets said...

Remmy Happy 3rd Gotcha Day!

Aww..what a lovely letter you wrote so long ago. Definitely we think you have changed over the 3 yrs Remmy..you got bigger and the sofa'got smaller! Have a fabulous day and enjoy all you hugs and treats.
Big Nose Pokes
The Thugletsx

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Hap-Pee Gotcha Day! You means dat toy is still in one piece after 3 years? Dat one fur da record books!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Happy Third Gotcha Day!!!

Re-reading your note I khould SO see that woo've been wise furry all your years!!!

I hope woo get some special Sponge Bob stuff today!!!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Pippen said...

It's hard to believe that you are ONLY three! You are such a wise dawg that we always think you're so much older!

Sam and Pippen

PeeS. Did you get a new sofa???

MadSnapper said...

God bless Mike and Beth for being your forever parents and for loving you and letting you live in the house and for not putting you in a BIG dog house in the yard and for not chaining you and for not ignoring you and most of all for LOVING YOU LOTS. your story in the letter is the thing that bothers me most about HUMANS, that they can do these things and thing it is right.

Unknown said...

Congrats Remington! Wowser....3 years! We are so glad you found your wonderful furever home with Mike and Beth in Vikings territory, just where you belong!

Chatty Crone said...

Gosh this post made me laugh, cry, and feel every thing in between! And I am amazed at your growth - what a big boy you are. I know your mom and dad are proud of you and Beth and Mike too!
sandie

Carolina Cats said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Remington!!! We're so glad you found yore furever peeple.

Hugs & purrrs,
Finny, Buddy & PRincess Jazzy

TimberLove said...

Happy gotcha day Remington!

RA, Isis & Nanuk

JC said...

You looked so cute as a baby. You look handsome now. So glad you got a good home and that you like snow.

JC and The Purr & Fur Gang

The Army of Four said...

Happy Gotcha Day, buddy!!! God helped you find the PERFECT home right from the start! You couldn't be in a more loving, fun home!
You look adorable both as a puppy and as an adult puppy!
Hope you get to play some football to celebrate!
Luv,
Dave
PS: Special note to your Beth from our mom: Would you please give Remington a big hug for me?!!? :)

Martha said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Remington. You haven't changed a bit, well perhaps become even more handsome.
We are so glad you got the kind of forever home that we all deserve.
Enjoy your treats.
love
Martha & Bailey xx

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

What a sweet letter!! Happy Gotcha Day! :o) You are 8 months older than Buster. I sure would like to see the two of you play together, that would be a sight! :o) Hugs and kisses, Remi! xo

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY REMINGTON!!! Buddy either YOU have really GROWN or else your TOY has SHRUNK.

Millie and Walter said...

Happy Gotcha Day Rem! You sure got lucky in the forever home lottery.

Cindy

Sketching with Dogs said...

Happy Gotcha Day Reminton!
You just get more handsome every year.
We are so pleased you found such a loving home with people who adore you.
Dip Bridge and Elliot x

Dachshund Nola said...

Awww! Happy Gotcha day Remington!
Dachshund Nola

Stewey said...

Happy Gotcha Day, my friend! Forever families are the best!
Stewey

JacksDad said...

I want to know how you've kept that stuffy all these years!! Didn't you want to see what was inside? :)

Happy GYD!!!

Molly the Airedale said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Remington! You have the best forever home in the whole wide world and I am so happy for you!

Love ya lots,
Mitch

brooke said...

Happy Gotcha day Remington!
You've grown from a cute little pup to a big handsome fella!

Ziggy Stardust said...

Remington OMD Happy Gotcha Day BOL BOL BOL!!! I completely understand your fears as I had the same feeling and the first home I went to was not very nice but it did lead me to my wonderful forever family and I am happy and safe and very loved. I am so happy that you are loved also. I prayed also and my family did come. Your thoughts were so amazing that Mommy has wet eyes thinking of how frightened my sweet Remington was that night and how happy you are now. My you have changed just a bit, I can tell you work out regularly and it shows. I am so happy and proud to know you my Rem. Happy Happy Day and I hope you get lots of treats and hugs and love.

Here is a hug

((((((((((((Remington))))))))))))))


Loveys Sasha

Marilyn said...

You were such a little ball of fur back then! Now, I see you are one big handsome fellow. You do have a great family!♥♫

White Dog Blog said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Remington! Change and the future looked scary three years ago, but Rem you could not have wound up with a better family and life! The White Dog Army wishes you many many many many more joyous celebratory Gotcha Days with Beth and Mike and your kitty siblings and friends in Zone 3.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

Oh Remington, thank you for reminding us that dreams come true.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Awww, Remington, we just love your letter and we are over the top with joy that your life has turned out so well. Have you changed? Only more and more handsome each year. We love you, big guy - Happy Gotcha Day.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

The Daily Pip said...

Happy Birthday, Remington. I hope your day was filled with love and treats.

Your pal, Pip

jen said...

Happy Gotcha Day you handsome Newfie!!!

47 said...

Happy 3rd! Wow you've grown.

Keith Andrea said...

Happy Gotcha Day Rem!!! You are so cute ever since you were a small little innocent puppy....

Dog Fence for Any size yard.
Pet Solutions

Unknown said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Rem!!! You're a good boy so all your prayers came true!

You were so cute and you are so handsome now!

bichonpawz said...

Oh Remington....that letter almost made us cry! We are so glad that your prayers were answered and you have a wonderful home with Mike and Beth!! Happy Gotcha Day!!! Have a FABULOUS day!! xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Jacqueline said...

Happy Gotcha Day, handsome Rem!!...You are such an adorable little guy=love the photos!...We are so glad you found such a wonderful home where you are cherished!...xoox...Calle, Halle, Sukki

SquirrelQueen said...

Happy Third Gotcha Day!
Hope you had a great day Remington.

Tucker The Crestie said...

Rem, I sure wish every dog had as wonderful and happy a home as you do, buddy. Happy gotcha day!

Bicontinental Dachshund said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Remington!

I love your letter. I'm so glad you found a fantastic furever home!!!

KB said...

I just found your site, Remington. Happy Gotcha Day, and thank you for sharing that touching, sad, and, in the end, very happy letter. That wonderful series of photos shows us that you found the perfect home.

Grady and Leonardo said...

Hi Bro,
Mom is celebrating my gotcha day tomorrow (Saturday) after she and Elena get back from the horse show.

It's hard to believe that three years have passed. Grady told me that sometimes it feels like I've been around forever.

We are both very blessed with our families and each other.

Love you brother!
Leonardo.