Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bird Dog Reporting....


On today's show we thought it would be appropriate to feature the springtime favorite -- the Robin!
We had very many in our yard the day after the Worm Moon!  They were eating all the earthworms!



The American Robin is about 10 inches high and known for it's orange-red breast.
Males have more reddish orange breast than females, which is more of a brownish orange. 
Juvenile Robins have white spotted underparts, back and shoulders.

Robins eat worms, caterpillars, berries and fruit, beetles, crickets and spiders. They have a cute way of running and stopping to eat. One Robin can eat as much as 14 feet of earthworms in one day!  That's A LOT of worms!

Female Robins start building their first nests in April and another nest later in the season, as late as August. The male does not help build, but will sometimes bring supplies. It is nice that they help out.  Nests can usually be found in trees, protected from the rain. Nests are built anywhere from 5 to 70 feet off the ground.

Robins usually have 2 broods of 4 eggs a season. Their eggs are green-blue in color and about the size of a quarter. Babies stay in the nest roughly 2 weeks before they learn to fly.

So there is what I found out about this cute and fun bird!

They even have a song about themselves!  Beth LOVES Dean Martin (whoever he is) and if you would like you can hear him sing it -- just click below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1nlgeQCcpE&feature=related

Later -- Remington -- I guess it has a pretty good beat but I'll stick to watching birdies -- out!

20 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I like robins. When I see the furst one in the spring... I am soooo very much happy. I hate it when I notice they are all gone in the fall though.

Unknown said...

You are quite the Bird Man Remy! Great info. I'll be waiting to hear about more birds. Happy Sunday Sweetie!

My Mind's Eye said...

I love robins...when they take their first bath of the season in my bird bath I know spring isn't far away.
Madi and Mom

Anonymous said...

We look forward to robins every spring. right now one is building a nest just above where the car is parked. Hope they have waste removal!
Can you tell people about the Newf(ish) raffle ending this week? http://dogsmom.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/urgent-raffle-coming-to-close-doodlebug/
Lots of Dog good prizes for any kind of dog

Jacqueline said...

Robins are beautiful birds, we've got quite a few that hang out in our yard too...Love the hat Rem, you're doing a great job!...Happy Sunday friend...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Ina in Alaska said...

We were bob bob bobbin' along to ole Dino Martino!!!!! Thanks for the info and the swingin' breakfast tune (although we will leave the yummy earthworms to the robins) xoxox

♥I am Holly♥ said...

You really look great in that hat Remington!! Very handsome!! I love your pictures of the Robins. We saw a couple the other day having a fight. Our friend said it was two males trying to get their turf? Whatever that means. They wre really pretty though. Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

1000 Goldens said...

I didn't know all those things about robins. I can't imagine eating one worm, much less 14! You look so handsome in your hat Rem :)

the booker man said...

14 feet of wormies? egads! how do those robins room in their tummies for all those wormies??
thanks for the informationals!
*woof*
the booker man

JacksDad said...

I haven't seen any earthworms out here. I wonder if the ground squirrels got them all!

Molly the Airedale said...

Wow! We didn't know all of that stuff about Robins, Remington! Thanks!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Gus said...

We think you and Star would look lovely dancin' to that song.

gussie

Ms. ~K said...

We love Robins!
Do you have a gazillion hats?
Licks and sniffs,
Zack, Sassy and Buddy

Sagira said...

Remington...I NEED YOUR HELP! We have birds I think nesting in our gutter. AHH...it is making my mom very nervous and dad doesn't seem to care. Come help us!

Teddy Bear said...

Very very cool birds!

Love,
Teddy Bear

The Army of Four said...

I think there is a robin nest in one of our Austrian Pine trees! There is a couple who always goes hopping in there, anyway!
I like that Dean Martin guy. My mom's friend Betsey says I remind her of him - and thinks I should have my own cocktail glass. Hmm.
Great post, Remington! We learned lots we didn't know about robins!
Luv,
Dave

Josie said...

Hi Remington,

We have a Robin who just built a nest in our Coral Honeysuckle Bush. She's a beauty and the nest is perfectly placed. I've been keeping an eye on the nest to see when she lays the eggs. I'll make sure I get a picture to post to share with you.

Great Post! Love the Hat! Boy, you sure do know a lot of things, especially about birds. My mom loves birds so much and you! I just love you too! And Mr. Blues, Jr. does too.

Thank you so much for the Spring Gift Package. We just finished posting about it on our blog, but we wanted to personally Thank You! As you can see from the posted pictures, we are enjoying all the gifts immensely. Thanks for being our BFF!! (Blog Friend Forever!!)

WE LOVE YOU!
Much love,
Woofs,
Josie and Mr. Blues, Jr.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We have a Momma Robin and nest in our flowering cherry tree - we even have a few pikhs on Monday's blog!

Mom enjoys watching them P U L L those worms from the ground! It is surely a talent!

Thanks fur sharing these feathered fakhts!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Yvette said...

we have different robins...you must come over here!
tof, blaf, shuka.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Mama and me just love Robins,and Mama really likes Dean Martin!!

Thanks for all the cool info AND the song!

Smileys!
Dory